Monday, March 2, 2009

I heart promethazine.

I am so ready for the morning sickness to be over. The doc gave me a prescription for promethazine (Phenergan), in case it got bad, and I had to start taking it last week. I was just feeling rotten all day and had absolutely no appetite. And if I didn’t eat, the nausea was worse! One day I threw up 3 times, and thought “I’m done!”

While the promethazine (which I take every 6 hours, though it wears off every 4.5-5 hours) does not fully take the nausea away, it does give me mostly-puke-free days, and allows me to eat healthier foods that were beyond my capability a week ago (fruits, veggies, meat…). Without the meds, all I feel like eating is candy and chips. Not so good for me or the baby! Thank goodness for prenatal vitamins. Random cravings have been hitting me. Right now I would kill for some French Onion Soup, but by the time I get home, I probably won’t want it anymore, lol. I have leftover pizza for lunch and it sounds pretty good right now!

My stomach is certainly changing already. It’s a bit firmer and less roll-y (if that makes sense). My pants are terribly uncomfortable without modifications (rubber bands or paperclips, lol) and don’t stay up well with said modifications. But I’m not nearly ready for maternity pants yet. I remember this transition time last pregnancy – so frustrating! The baby is the size of a kumquat - about an inch or an inch and a half. My weekly pregnancy email says that abdominal thickening at this point is probably due to weight gain or bloating, but I stepped on the scale on Sunday and had lost 2 more pounds (grand total of 3 lbs lost) with clothes on! They say you “show” much earlier with subsequent pregnancies.

We started taking the kids swimming last week at the Southwest Community Center! We’ve been 3 times already. We got them some swimsuits with foam floaties built in so we don’t have to use lifejackets. The first time, Giovanna refused to be in the water – she would only sit on the side and kick her feet. Roman, however, had a great time, as long as Kyle and I kept our chests and heads above water – the second we got deeper, he started to fuss. The second trip was more successful – we floated Giovanna around on a big foam pad that we called her boat. Yesterday was the most successful – we got both kids out where they couldn’t touch the bottom, holding on to us or the bar on the side of the pool! They are great kickers! They both laugh when they see other kids jumping to their parents, but neither want to do it themselves yet (well, Roman did the first day, but hasn’t since then!). I wish we could get pictures, but apparently cameras aren’t allowed in the pool area. ::(

Kyle had to get some unexpectedly painful dental work done last week, and has more coming up later this month. Poor guy!!

Otherwise, we’re all doing great!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I'm glad that you got some medication to get your nausea under control - sounds miserable throwing up several times a day, I feel so lucky I was never that sick!

That's great you've been taking G & R swimming, I know Sam loves to be in the pool, so I'm glad you have one close by! We have yet to go to the B'ham Aquatic Center since we moved back.

Tell Kyle I hope his mouth is feeling okay. I am going to the dentist in a couple of weeks and haven't been in a long time. I am sure I have at least one (painful) cavity so I might be in for some stupid dental pain too!